The Network - A Cyberpunk RP

I hate my job

Richie and Kae had fallen into an odd sort of routine which was primarily avoidance unless they had to. Like when he had Penny clear the girls past discretions from the police database and got her valid ID and made his mom her guardian.

It had taken a few weeks before she got a job but she did which was a step in the right direction.

Richie was having to placate his girlfriend by going to her house after work a few nights a week instead of the other way around which made his days longer and longer, especially on nights that he had late work.

It was a day he had off so he was in his apartment when he heard the door slide open.

@Dragon

After applying for anything that would hire teenagers, Kae finally got hired on at a popular chain. It sucked and the pay was shit, but the work itself was mostly bearable. Her coworkers were alright, but the manager she was with more often than not rubbed her the wrong way. Quite literally. The guy was a real creep. 

The living situation didn't help much. She worked as much as she was legally allowed just to stay out of the apartment. Even when Richie wasn't around she felt anxious and uncomfortable, aware that she didn't belong and afraid to touch anything. Weeks later all of her belongings were still kept in her pack, and if she wasn't actually in the room it appeared unused. She felt like her entire foundation had been blown out from under her. 

All of that had finally come to a head in the middle of a chaotic shift. The chaos and additional stress finally pushed her over the edge. This was bullshit. She'd made more money in a couple of hours moving packages for Mojave than she did in two weeks at this place. She didn't usually get touched or spoken down to, either. 

She'd been so pissed off that when her creep of a manager had told her she'd have to bring the shirt back, Kae just peeled it off and flung it at him before stalking out in her camisole. 

For a while she'd dallied around aimlessly, but she had nothing to do and nowhere to go. So she'd eventually just started trudging back to the apartment hoping either Richie wouldn't be there or she'd be able to sneak in unnoticed. 

@Morrigan

The last thing she wanted to do right now was have to answer to him. Kae bristled as soon as she heard his voice. For a split second she was tempted to just turn right back out the door; but she'd come back for her spending allowance, so she might as well get it. 

"Shitty day," she answered with a shrug. 

@Morrigan

Her stomach had already been growling off and on for a while. Kae rolled off the bed after a minute and came out to eat while the opportunity was there. 

She grabbed a slice and hopped onto a stool at the counter, starting to eat as she flicked through listings on her phone. The search itself had been slowed somewhat after she'd discovered a site where employees could review the job. Now she was filtering through all the worst reviews before deciding whether or not to bother with an application. 

@Morrigan

She finally found one where the reviews weren't too bad - just the standard stuff for a low paying job, and a few prats who were obviously exaggerating the problems. Kae made an annoyed sound in the back of her throat as she launched the application link and saw a lengthy questionnaire attached. Why did corporations do this stupid crap? 

@Morrigan

"The manager I get stuck on most shifts with can't keep his hands to himself," she muttered. Which was the big issue for her. She could ignore inappropriate talk or being insulted. Hell she probably would have ignored an ass grab or two - but this guy took any chance to cop a feel when there were no witnesses, and he was a shoulder rubber even if there were. 

@Morrigan

She'd been geared up for a fight over the why of it. She was surprised - albeit pleasantly - that he took her at her word. 

"Pretty much everyone said you just have to deal with it," she shrugged. That was probably true for most of them, but leaving the job wouldn't put her on the streets... not that a threat like that would have deterred her much. 

@Morrigan

As Richie was about to tap on a name an unfamiliar number came up on his screen and he answered it. It was the creep.

Richie answered with a simple. "Who is this?"

"That's how you greet people who call you sir?"

"If I don't know who it is, I do. Who is this?" he repeated.

"This is Miss Corvus' manager and I was calling to see if you could retrieve the money she stole from the register before she quit this morning."

"Excuse me?" Richie said simply.

"Yeah. She stole money from the register, about two hundred dollars, flipped me off before she stripped off her shirt and left the business. We need that money back and being her adult contact we need you to get it returned."

Richie couldn't help the smirk that traced across his lips. "What was your name again?"

"Brent."

"Mmmm Brent. Okay. Brent," he said putting a little more emphasis on the T. "I recommend you pull your pockets inside out and find the fucking money yourself because Kaella didn't take it you perverted bastard," Richie said. His voice was level but there was an edge of threat in it that was subtle but clear. "I also recommend that you lock your doors tight tonight because I know what you do to little girls," Richie said as he hung up the phone not giving the man any opportunity to respond.

@Dragon

It wasn't on speaker, but with Richie right beside her Kae could hear everything. She frowned when she recognized the voice. Why the hell would he call Richie? 

Her jaw dropped when she realized what she was being accused of. She straightened, preparing to deny it. Everything else was true, and she'd had some choice words for the prick before stalking out - but that was it. 

And 200 was a lot of freaking money on those wages.

All things considered, she knew it wasn't a stretch for anyone to believe. Let alone a guy who'd met her because she'd filched something valuable from his family. Kae felt her stomach knot as she prepared to defend herself. 

Richie never even glanced in her direction. Kae listened silently until he'd ended the call.

"Thank you," she said quietly, "I really didn't take it." 

@Morrigan